Applying for a monkey helper involves more than just filling out some paperwork. From the very beginning, it is a mutual commitment between applicants and Helping Hands to get to know and understand each other very well. To explore together the possibilities—and the challenges—of living with a monkey helper. The application process is deliberately designed to give us adequate time for this exploration. For most applicants, this takes three- to six-months. Applicants who complete the entire process may be matched with a carefully selected monkey helper. For others, the process will reveal that a monkey helper is not the right fit
Helping Hands staff members guide applicants through this process step-by-step. We are here to answer all of your questions, and to ensure that we get all the information we need to determine if you are an appropriate candidate, and if so, to match you with the perfect monkey helper for your needs.
Before you take the first step and submit an inquiry form we encourage you to spend some time reviewing the information about why monkeys, our eligibility requirements, the application process, the placement process, and life with a monkey helper. Read our recipient stories, or watch Imagine a Monkey or Monkeys in a Minute.
A monkey helper can assist with tasks such as:
- turning pages
- scratching itches
- retrieving dropped objects
- inserting straws into bottles
- turning on buttons/switches for remotes, phones, computers, etc.
- repositioning limbs on a wheelchair
Also, please note there are some limitations to the range of tasks our monkey helpers can perform. They CANNOT assist with:
- Retrieving medication/pills
- Personal Needs – teeth brushing, catheters, bathing, or dressing
- Feeding and food preparation (monkeys however can help retrieve a drink of water)
- Dialing the phone
- Alerting an individual to an oncoming seizure or panic attack