Job Title: Office Manager
Since 1979, Helping Hands: Monkey Helpers for the Disabled, Inc. has been helping adults with spinal cord injuries and other mobility impairments throughout the U.S. live more independent and engaged lives. We do this by providing them, free of charge, with a unique service animal: a highly trained service monkey to help with their daily tasks.
The only organization of our kind, we raise and train these special service animals, carefully match them with appropriate recipients across the nation, and provide active support and care for the duration of each placement. We are also committed to providing the highest level of care for the monkeys in our program throughout their lifetimes.
We are currently seeking an Office Manager to perform certain office functions including, light bookkeeping, records maintenance, copy/print services, reception, coordinating building maintenance and cleaning services, initiating and responding to communications with clients, vendors, staff and others via telephone and other means, mail distribution and other similar routine office functions and administrative duties. In addition, the Office Manager will provide administrative support of all types to the Executive Director and other staff as assigned. Due to Covid-19 and current Massachusetts restrictions, the person in this position will begin by working in the office one day per week with the expectation that hours will increase as the business returns to normal.
The Office Manager will organize and coordinate office administration and procedures in order to ensure organizational effectiveness, efficiency, and safety. The Office Manager must be an energetic and positive professional who does not mind wearing multiple hats. The Office Manager is expected to be experienced in handling a wide range of administrative and executive support related tasks and able to work independently with little or no supervision. Well organized, flexible, and enjoys the administrative challenges of supporting an office of diverse people.
The Office Manager is supervised by and reports to the Executive Director.
Essential Job Functions (with or without accommodation)
Administrative (estimated 50% of time)
- Maintains office services by organizing office operations and procedures; controlling correspondence; designing filing systems; reviewing and approving supply requisitions
- With the assistance of an outside bookkeeper and accountant, manages data entry for accounts payable and receivable using QuickBooks
- Makes bank deposits and transfers
- Prints and mails gift acknowledgment letters
- Oversees state charity registration process
- Provides historical reference by defining procedures for retention, protection, retrieval, transfer, and disposal of records
- Maintains office efficiency by planning and implementing office systems, layouts, and equipment procurement
- Point person for building maintenance, mailing, shipping, supplies, equipment, bills and errands
- Organize office operations and procedures
- Liaison with IT vendor on all office equipment
- Manage relationships with vendors and service providers, ensuring that all items are invoiced and paid on time
- Manage contract and price negotiations with office vendors and service
- Provide general greeting and support to visitors
- Establish a historical reference for the office by outlining procedures for protection, retention, record disposal, retrieval and staff transfers
- Responsible for developing and implementing office policies by setting up procedures and standards to guide the operation of the office
- Ensure that results are measured against standards, while making necessary changes along the way
- Determine current trends and provide a review to management to act on
- Remain updated on technical and professional knowledge by attending educational workshops, joining professional associations, building networks with fellow professionals and reviewing of industry publications
- Design and implement filing systems
- Ensure filing systems are maintained and current
- Establish and monitor procedures for record keeping
- Ensure security, integrity and confidentiality of data
- Design and implement office policies and procedures
- Oversee adherence to office policies and procedures
- Analyze and monitor internal processes
- Implement procedural and policy changes to improve operational efficiency
- Coordinate schedules, appointments and bookings
- Monitor and maintain office supplies inventory
- Handle customer inquiries and complaints
- Maintain a safe and secure working environment
- Other duties as assigned
Facility (estimated 40% of time)
- Point person for all maintenance related issues
- Coordinate inspections
- Coordinate landscaping needs
- Conduct daily building maintenance checks
- Responsible for general tidiness and cleanliness of office.
- Arrive early one day a week to be present when cleaners are in building
- Other duties as assigned
General (estimated 10% of time)
- Answering and forwarding calls from the main office extension
- Participate actively in the planning and execution of organization events
- Assist training staff as necessary
- Organize orientation and training of new staff members
- Other duties as assigned
As the incoming Office Manager, you will possess many of the following characteristics and qualifications:
- Proven office management, administrative, or assistant experience
- Knowledge of office management responsibilities, systems, and procedures
- Excellent time management skills and ability to multi-task and prioritize work
- Attention to detail and problem solving skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational and planning skills
- Proficient in MS Office, Google Suite, and QuickBooks Online; Raiser’s Edge experience preferred but not required
- Excellent knowledge of data and administrative management practices and procedures and basic bookkeeping.
- Excellent knowledge of clerical practices and procedures
- Knowledge of human resources management practices and procedures
- Knowledge of business and management principles
- Computer skills and knowledge of office software packages
- Ability to work outside of traditional office hours as needed to help with events and donor relationships
Salary and benefits:
Helping Hands exempt employees receive benefits including health, dental, and disability insurance and participate in a 401(k) plan.
This position will start out as part-time hourly with the opportunity to transition to salaried with benefits as the business reopens after Covid-19. The starting rate is $19/hour.
Covid-19 Safety Precautions:
We are committed to the safety and health of our staff and the animals in our care. Therefore, we have enacted stringent health and safety protocols in our workplace to ensure all remain healthy and safe. All employees are expected to wear masks while at work and maintain a distance of six feet from other employees.
How to Apply:
All qualified applicants should email firstname.lastname@example.org with a resume along with a cover letter.
Helping Hands is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to building a multicultural organization. We actively seek a diverse pool of candidates.