My monkey helps me live safely and she has given me greater independence. Her assistance has allowed me to work for the first time.
- Michael, Monkey Helper Recipient
Since 1979, Helping Hands: Monkey Helpers for the Disabled, Inc. has been helping adults with spinal cord injuries and other mobility impairments throughout the U.S. live more independent and engaged lives. We do this by providing them, free of charge, with a unique service animal: a highly trained service monkey to help with their daily tasks. These animals bring more than just a willing set of nimble hands to their recipients. They also bring companionship, joy, and the renewed sense of purpose that comes from taking responsibility for the health and well-being of another creature. Our work encompasses all aspects of this service:
- We raise, train and match the monkeys with carefully chosen recipients
- We provide extensive coaching and customized in-home training at the start of each placement
- We oversee each monkey’s lifelong behavioral, nutritional and medical needs
- We provide ongoing active support and mentoring for every partnership
- We place retired monkeys in loving homes where they are well cared for